E-town In the News: April 2016
“E-town In the News” is a monthly hand-curated collection of links to recent articles, appearances and publications from other media outlets that feature people of Elizabethtown. Have an item to report? Email email@example.com.
Faculty and Staff
Richard Fellinger, fellow in the Writing Wing, published an op-ed in LNP about how Donald Trump defines the presidential race and reveals our society’s dark side.
Dr. Karen Johnson-Weiner, Snowden Fellow in the Young Center, was interviewed for the LNP article “Inside a modern Amish wedding.”
Dr. April Kelly-Woessner, professor of political science and Department Chair, wrote the column “Politics devolves to signaling our virtue by publicly shaming others” for LNP
Dr. Kyle Kopko’05, assistant professor of political science and director of the Honors Program, was interviewed for, featured in or wrote for the following stories:
- “Who should Trump and Clinton pick as running mates? This research says it doesn’t really matter” –Washington Post
- “Commentary: Trump and Clinton should forget conventional wisdom picking running mates” — Chicago Tribune
- “The Myth of the Battleground-State Veep Candidate” — New York magazine/Daily Intelligencer
- “Analysts: Presidential candidates could stop in central Pennsylvania in the next two weeks” — LNP
- “Here’s who Ted Cruz could pick as a running mate” — MarketWatch
- “Less fervent Trump support here? In Pennsylvania, GOP front-runner’s win in Lancaster County was his smallest margin” — LNP
- “Do Vice Presidential Picks Matter?” – US News and World Reports
- “Best cleanup candidate expected to win Pennsylvania AG race” — Tribune
Dr. Michael Long, associate professor of religious studies and director of peace & conflict studies, was interviewed about Jackie Robinson on WITF–Smart Talk.
Dr. Fletcher McClellan, dean of the faculty and professor of political science, was featured in a half-hour interview about the 2016 Pennsylvania primaries on the Pennsylvania Cable Network (link unavailable). He also was interviewed by International Business Times for “Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders Square Off On Fracking In Key New York, Pennsylvania Primaries.”
Dr. Kelly Poniatowski, associate professor of communications, and several students were interviewed by WGAL about their marketing work with the Olympic Field Hockey team.
Jonathan Rudy, peacemaker-in-residence with the Center for Global Understanding and Peacemaking, was mentioned in the Church of the Brethren newsletter about being named senior advisor for human security for Washington, D.C.’s Alliance for Peacebuilding.
The Rev. Tracy Sadd, Carl Strikwerda and Jon Rudy, as well as students Pareesa Zaman and James Spearman were interviewed for the New York Times story, “A Laboratory for Interfaith Studies in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.”
Strikwerda also was was interviewed for the story “College faculty raises beat inflation … a little” and for the CPBJ story on the College’s cyber launch of the Capital Campaign. Strikwerda and Bob Wallett, vice president for administration and finance, were mentioned in LNP’s “Elizabethtown College dedicates solar array.”
Wallett also was interviewed about the solar array for Community Energy’s “Community Energy Completes Elizabethtown College Solar Project.”
Dr. Michael Swanson was interviewed for the LNP article “Tony Kushner’s ‘A Bright Room Called Day’ opens tonight at Elizabethtown College.”
Ethan Weber was named Harrisburg magazine’s April 2016 Young Person of the Month.
The College was mentioned in the following stories.
- “Art: Print making exhibit at Elizabethtown College” — The Sentinel
- “College commencements – who is speaking where?” – PennLive
- “Brush up on Shakespeare, there’s a birthday party for him Sunday night at Tellus360” – LNP
- “Namasté Solar completes 2.6-MW project for Elizabethtown College” — Solar Power World
- “Low-cost college fundraising has big impact” – CPBJ
- “Hershey CEO Bilbrey to speak at Elizabethtown College adult-ed commencement” – LNP
- “Napalm girl’ was haunted by the image for years” – PennLive